One cooking trick I’m working on is “throwing something together”. Sometimes I want real food, but I don’t have anything planned.
This cheesy broccoli pasta bake was one attempt at this goal. I almost always have shredded cheese, pasta, and frozen broccoli in the house. This recipe ties them together in a yummy way.
- Cook the pasta like normal.
- Steam the broccoli to the level you prefer. I like mine “just heated”, but you might like yours much softer.
- Heat the butter in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the flour and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add the milk and stir occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 ½ cups of cheese and stir until melted. Stir in nutmeg, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Add the pasta and broccoli to the cheese mixture and toss to combine.
- Put in an 8-inch square baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Broil 3-4 minutes or until the cheese is golden.
And there you have it.
I’ll let you, this wasn’t a super awesome dish. I’m not telling you that this is going to wow your guests. But it worked wonderfully as a thrown together meal, and the left overs worked as a quick bite to heat up later.
See my Macaroni and Cheese recipe for my favorite thing to do with pasta!
What are some of your go-to recipes for dinner in a hurry?