What IS Positive Parenting All About Anyway?
Your four year old has just punched his newborn brother in the face, or your eight year old has screamed “I hate you” and thrown a book at the wall, or your 14 year old has skipped school.
Before you is a fork in the road.
On the one path you’ll find yelling, spanking, grounding, time outs, bribes, pleading, whining, demanding, controlling, consequences, removing privileges, and lecturing.
What’s down the other path?
Positive parenting is the choice to walk down the other path.
What is positive parenting?
Positive parenting focuses on building a joyful, cooperative, respectful relationship with your kids.
Positive parenting rejects old practices based on control, punishment, and fear.
Positive parenting fosters deep, committed relationships based on communication, love, and trust.
Positive parenting is not just a list of rules. It’s an attitude and a way of living that honors everyone in the family.
Positive parenting is:
- Clear and open communication between you and your child.
- Cooperation and collaboration between you and your child.
- Reducing yelling, anger, and blame.
- Supporting your child and being on their side.
- Having more fun and laughter in your home.
- Having a positive view of your child, trusting them, giving them the benefit of the doubt.
- Setting aside methods of control like spanking, timeouts, praise, and rewards.
What is positive parenting all about?
Positive parenting includes coming at your relationship from a few different directions.
- There are old discipline strategies to dump and new positive ones to implement.
- There’s learning how to set limits with your child while maintaining your connection and deepening your empathy.
- There’s deep, difficult personal work to heal your lingering insecurities and issues so you can be a stronger parent.
- There’s communicating love to your child everyday and learning to have fun as a family.
Recommended Reading: If you are working on living together cooperatively, two books I highly recommend are Nonviolent Communication and Unconditional Parenting. Those are affiliate links to two of my favorite books!
What is positive parenting’s end result?
Positive parenting brings immeasurable benefits to your life, your kids, your family, and your home. The greatest benefit is the secure attachment between you and your child. Children with secure attachments experience positive benefits to their brain development and their future relationships, among many other positive outcomes.
You get to experience being on the same side as your child. Many parent-child relationships are fraught with discord, resistance, resentment, and even hatred. That simply isn’t the way it has to be. You can build a relationship that shines with trust and care, joy and love, and a deep sense of belonging together.
If you’re still asking “yes, but what IS positive parenting?!” I’m glad to know that you want to know more! If you’re ready for a crash course NOW, you can start the eCourse 60 Days to Positive Parenting right this minute. Or join us on the LoveLiveGrow Parenting Facebook page for daily inspiration for positive parenting.
There’s a lot to learn, but you will never regret it. Having a cooperative, connected relationship with your child is absolutely attainable when you choose positive parenting.